Friday, May 23, 2008

Watch Out for This Interview Trick

The trick – Interviewer turns the interview into what appears to be a casual conversation.

Why this trick is used – To get to know the real you. Everyone shows up for an interview on their best behavior. You know the answers I'm after ("My greatest weakness? I'm a perfectionist."). You know to sit up straight, look me in the eye and answer my questions succinctly. I'm trying to throw you off. I don't want interview-you. I want real-you.

Why this trick works – You reveal more about yourself than intended.

Why this is dangerous – See previous answer.

Remember, no matter how comfortable you are with that person, or how casual they seem in their questioning, they are sizing you up. Comparing you to others. Determining if they can spend 8-10 hours a day working with you. Never, ever, ever let your guard down.

I'm not telling you to be fake. I'm telling you to be professional – and in control of how you are representing yourself.

Because I may be all smiles and jokes, but I'm still evaluating you for a job.

No comments: